Frequently Asked Questions

I'm not a U.S. citizen. How do I obtain a visa?
Humanity in Action is authorized to issue the paperwork required to obtain a J-1 intern visa from the U.S. consulate in your home country. You must be a current student or recent graduate (to qualify as a recent graduate, you must have graduated no earlier than January of 2017) in order to qualify for this visa. You will need proof that you have medical insurance while in the United States and sufficient funding to cover your expenses. Please click here for information on the J-1 intern visa.

If I am accepted, at what point will I learn where I am placed?
Placement assignments are often not available until shortly before the program begins. If you are accepted into this program, you must commit to the fellowship without knowing which specific office will be hosting you.

Will the program help me find housing in Washington?

No. Unfortunately, Humanity in Action does not have the capacity to arrange your housing in Washington. If accepted, it will be your responsibility to set up your accomodations during the duration of the Fellowship program.

Can the program provide any assistance if I am applying for funding from other sources? 
Yes. Humanity in Action is always available to write a letter of endorsement supporting your funding requests.

What is a reasonable budget for living in Washington, DC?
Based on feedback from past Fellows, we estimate monthly expenses to be about $1,750 a month. These costs can cover modest expenses for: housing, food, transportation within Washington, phone and social life. Please note that Humanity in Action will not be able to provide additional funding for the cost of your airfare to Washington, DC.

Is there a stipend or scholarship for this program?
Yes. Humanity in Action will provide a scholarship to all participants in this program. All participants 
will receive a stipend of USD $5,000.

Can I also apply to the Pat Cox-Humanity in Action Fellowship?

Humanity in Action Fellows and Senior Fellows can also apply to the Pat Cox-HIA Fellowship in the European Parliament. When you apply, please list your preference between the two fellowships in the form above. We will try to honor your preference if you are selected for both programs.

Who do I contact for more information?
For further questions, please contact Admissions at