- Explore theories and histories of public and private property rights as well as cultural rights (rites) in the United States and European countries. The focus will be on post-industrial cities and particularly Detroit;
- Understand how individuals and groups employ maps and data to oppress as well as to resist and protest inequities;
- Learn the basics and various of techniques of mapping, data visualization, and multimedia storytelling;
- Create their own maps and data visualizations to reveal hidden stories, overturn harmful dominant narratives, and provoke change at a neighborhood, city, state, or country level.
Examples of fieldwork include:
- Walking through your neighborhood and accounting for different characteristics; collecting photos and data
- Scouring the internet for data, local sites and their significance, etc.;
- Using Google Maps;
- Layering and integrating different maps or sets of data to draw new conclusions;
- Finding an under-mapped community or space and trying to fill in the gaps;
- Creating a spatial audit – is a certain place or community accessible, or are there barriers for certain groups?
Given the trans-Atlantic and US time differences, the lectures and workshops for all Fellows will take place in the morning US time and afternoon European time. The field work will take place in the morning European time and in the afternoon US time.
Applicants do not need experience with data collection, analysis, mapping, or visualization. However, applicants should have a keen interest in learning how to tell impactful visual stories with data. While there are no costs associated with this Fellowship, if a Fellow needs financial support to enable virtual participation, Humanity in Action will consider such need. Fellows should be in touch with Humanity in Action staff after acceptance into the program.
Senior Fellows with an interest in this topic and joining a new, experimental program are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Applications are now closed. To be notified when the application for the Humanity in Action 2023 Fellowship programs is available, sign up here. With any questions, do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org.