Humanity in Action is seeking applications for the positions listed below. To apply, please click here.
- Associate Program Director (Detroit)
Humanity in Action's offices are located at the Centre for Social Innovation in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood
Associate Program Director
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Reports to: Anthony Chase, Detroit Program Director / Director of Programs
Type: Part-time contract position
Timeline of Contract: February - September 2017
Humanity in Action invites applications for an Associate Program Director position in Detroit from energetic and experienced candidates who are passionate about social justice and equity. The Associate Program Director will assist in the planning, implementation and leading of the 2017 Humanity in Action Fellowship program in Detroit. The inaugural program will take place from July 8 - August 3, 2017 in Detroit.
The Humanity in Action Fellowship in Detroit will be an annual four-week, collaborative educational program for 22 university students and young professionals. The cohort will include Fellows from Detroit, elsewhere in Michigan and the United States, and from Humanity in Action’s European networks. During the program, the Fellows will explore the biography of Detroit — a city deeply emblematic of the tensions of massive economic and cultural change in 20th and 21st century America. The program will place special emphasis on democratic inclusion of marginalized groups, equitable development, social entrepreneurship and public health. The Fellows will meet with local scholars, journalists and community leaders as well as entrepreneurs, activists and artists. Each Fellow will develop an Action Project on an issue explored during the program.
The Associate Program Director will play a crucial role in the development and implementation of the inaugural Detroit Fellowship. The position provides an exceptional opportunity for a professional to develop creative and original programming about current issues and to galvanize a network of leaders in Detroit who are committed to social justice and equitable development. Humanity in Action seeks a well-connected professional who is passionate about education and Detroit and has at least four years of post-university experience. The position will be based in Detroit and will be a part-year contract position.
- Assist the Detroit Program Director in the development and implementation of the inaugural Humanity in Action Fellowship in Detroit;
- Assist in the development of curriculum for the annual fellowship program on urban, economic and cultural change in Detroit, with particular emphasis on diversity, equity and social justice; identify site visits and recruit speakers; engage fellows in dialogue about the issues raised;
- Coordinate closely with Detroit-based programmatic partners;
- Arrange housing, meals, transportation, accommodations and other logistics for the Detroit Fellowship;
- Share local knowledge and networks as relevant for program development;
- Assist the Program Director in leading the program during sessions and activities, serving as a point-person for Fellows, additional staff, speakers, interns, vendors, partners, supporters and others;
- Provide guidance and encouragement to Fellows in planning and implementation of action plans;
- Support the research and writing of Fellows’ Action Project plans and essays;
- Assist in preparing Fellows for program by developing and providing orientation and reading materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social sciences, public policy, urban studies, American studies, or related field;
- At least four years of post-university professional experience;
- Deep knowledge of Detroit and networks in the city, especially social justice, artistic and entrepreneurial communities;
- Demonstrated leadership experience, preferably in a non-profit or academic setting;
- Must have a passion for working with college and university students from diverse social, cultural, and academic backgrounds;
- Strong communication, leadership, inter-group and networking skills;
- Experience and appreciation of interdisciplinary approaches to human rights issues;
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Humanity in Action.
To apply for the Special Projects Assistant role at Humanity in Action, please click here.
Humanity in Action is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, interns, program participants, and alumni and to policies and practices that assure there will be no discrimination against any individual on the grounds of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or political affiliation.