Humanity in Action is seeking applications for the positions listed below. To apply, please click here.
Director of Operations
Post date: 10 January 2017
Title: Director of Operations
Reports to: Executive Director and Director of Programs
Position: Full Time, salaried position
Humanity in Action seeks applications from energetic professionals who have experience in office management, administration and event planning for a Director of Operations role in the organization’s New York City headquarters. Humanity in Action invites applications from candidates with at least 3 years of experience who have an interest in diversity and social and political issues.
Humanity in Action is an international educational organization. We educate, inspire and connect a global network of students, young professionals and established leaders committed to promoting human rights, diversity and active citizenship—in their own communities and around the world. Humanity in Action is a non-profit and non-partisan organization.
We are headquartered at the Centre for Social Innovation in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. Humanity in Action is a small organization. The office in New York is small and consists of Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, Director of Programs, Director of Operations, Coordinator of Administration and Admissions, Special Projects Assistant, and an intern.
Summary of Position
The role of the Director of Operations is to be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Humanity in Action, Inc. headquarters in New York City. The Director of Operations will be responsible for the daily financial administration of the organization and the management of its office space and assets. A key responsibility of the Director of Operations will be the management of Humanity in Action’s contact database and the execution of mailings for fundraisings and other communication purposes. The Director of Operations will be responsible for office-wide scheduling, coordinating the schedule of the Executive Director, making travel arrangements, and executing fundraising events, and supervising office interns.
Duties and Responsibilities
Finance (Assisting Chief Financial Officer)
- Manage day-to-day financial matters. Responsibilities include: paying bills, writing checks, executing wire transfers, checking corproate credit card statements.
- Manage accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Process monthly payroll.
- Prepare and execute all bank transactions.
- Post and maintain QuickBooks for accurate financial reporting.
- As needed: Reconcile bank, financial, credit card statements.
- Manage and update database of contacts, including donors and contribution information.
- Prepare and facilitate pro forma solicitation materials.
- Prepare donor acknowledgement letters.
- Execute fundraising events (e.g., annual benefit and other social receptions and events).
- Contribute to planning of logistical and administrative aspects of fundraising events.
- Serve as on-site event manager for occasional events.
- Manage process of receiving grants.
- Maintain grant calendar.
Operations and Office Management
- Manage physical office space.
- Manage all office and administrative matters, including office supplies, folders, flyers, etc.
- Manage printing and mailings of promotional materials, books, etc.
- Serve as principal liaison to the Centre for Social Innovation and storage center.
- Serve as principal liaison with office cleaning service.
- Oversee interviews and selection of office interns.
- Supervise office interns.
- Maintain paperwork for tax and regulatory payments to individuals.
- Manage relationships with outside vendors, cultivate strong and positive relations.
- Communicate with board members regarding meeting schedule, meeting materials.
- Assist the Director of Programs in preparing meeting materials.
- Assist in planning the Board’s calendar.
Program and Event Implementation
- Manage logistical arrangements for planning International Conference, New York Conference, etc. (lodging, venues, travel, invitations, printed materials, guest lists, vendor relations, facility memos, etc.)
- Serve as principal on-site event manager at programmatic and fundraising events.
- 3-5 years of post-university professional experience;
- BA or equivalent is required;
- Experience managing an office of a nonprofit or public sector agency;
- Fluency in financial software, including QuickBooks and Excel;
- Experience managing databases, particularly donor and client databases;
- Track record of taking initiative and responsibility;
- Experience with social media and/or website CMS;
- Collaborative spirit and desire to work closely with New York staff as well as European colleagues;
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments simultaneously with attention to detail;
- Must be flexible, patient, and comfortable working in a small and busy office; and
- Commitment to the mission and values of Humanity in Action.
To apply for the Director of Operations role at Humanity in Action, please click here.
Humanity in Action is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, interns, program participants, and alumni and to policies and practices that assure there will be no discrimination against any individual on the grounds of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or political affiliation.